Tuesday, August 12, 2014

will this blog see tomorrow?

It's an open question.  Think about today's in-class discussion, ask yourself what you really want out of this semester, and then comment to this post with your decision and at least one reason for it.  (NOTE: As Benjamin Franklin famously observed, "We all hang together or we all hang separately." We won't move forward unless all of us participate.

I've created an approach to learning in which students use 2.0 tools to create their online identities, express themselves, and show the public what they can do. 

I call the model Open Source Learning and I define it with a mouthful: "A guided learning process that combines timeless best practices with today's tools in a way that empowers learners to create interdisciplinary paths of inquiry, communities of interest and critique, and a portfolio of knowledge capital that is directly transferable to the marketplace."

Students use Open Source Learning to create a wild variety of personal goals, Big Questions, Collaborative Working Groups, and online portfolios of work that they can use for personal curiosity, self-improvement, or as a competitive advantage in applying for jobs, scholarships, and admission to colleges and universities.  You can see a sample course blog here, some member blogs here, and sample masterpieces here and here

Several members of the first Open Source Learning cohort made this video about the experience:



In an era when it seems like all you hear about school is how much it sucks, it's nice to see student achievement make positive waves.  Check out this Open Source Learning interview with students and Howard Rheingold, the man who literally wrote the book on The Virtual Community 20 years ago. 

The defining characteristic of Open Source Learning is that there is no chief; all of us are members of a network that is constantly evolving.  Another key element is transparency.  What we learn and how well we learn it, how we respond to setbacks, and even some of our favorite inspirations and habits of mind are right out there in public for everyone to see.  Readers will rightly perceive what we curate as the best we have to offer.

And all this is Open.  In thermodynamics, an open system exchanges substance, not just light and heat.  To us, the important idea is that the network can change in composition and purpose.  Every time you meet someone new and exchange ideas, you're not only enriching each other, you're changing your minds and contributing opportunities for others to do the same.  In other words, you're learning and teaching* (*one of the most effective ways to learn).

We're not limited to one source for curriculum or instruction.  We have a full slate of online conferences scheduled this year including authors, authorities on the Internet and social media, entrepreneurs, and others.  Last year a mother/daughter team presented a lesson on class distinctions in Dickens & Dr. Seuss online (I'd post & link if I hadn't forgotten to click 'Record').  Ricky Luna invited a champion drummer to talk with students online about music and its connections to literature and life.  If we read something that makes an impression we can reach out to the author.    As you get the hang of this you'll come up with your own ideas.  Testing them will give you a better sense of how to use the experience to your greatest advantage.

No one knows how learning actually works--what IS that little voice that tells you what you should've said 15 minutes after you should've said it?  How does a subneuronal lightning storm somehow account for our experience of being conscious?  We are not sure how to account for the individual experience and demonstration of learning.  We are also not sure what exactly the individual should be learning about at a time when factoids are a search click away and the economy, the environment, and the future are all increasingly complex and uncertain.

Maybe this is why learning still seems magical.  Maybe it shouldn't be.  Maybe if we learned more about how we think we'd be better off.  After all, how we think is a powerful influence on how we act.  If you think of your blog work as a list of traditional school assignments/chores, you will treat it that way and it will show.   Your friends will miss your posts and worry that you've moved to The House Beyond the Internet-- or that you're still at your place but trapped under something heavy.  At any rate you'll be missing the whole point.  This work should help you connect the dots between the interests that drive you, an academic course that derives its title from words hardly anyone uses in casual conversation, and practical tasks like applying for scholarships and college admissions.  The general idea is for you to: do your best at something personally meaningful; learn about how you and others learn while you're in the act; and fine-tune your life accordingly.  In addition to mastering the core curriculum, improving your own mind is the highest form of success in this course of study.

As you well know (Put that phone away or I'll confiscate it!), many people are worried about the use of technology in education.  They are rightly concerned about safety, propriety, and focus: will learners benefit or will they put themselves at risk?  The only way to conclusively prove that the benefits far outweigh the risks is to establish your identities and show yourselves great, both online and in meatspace.  As we move forward you will learn how the Internet works, how you can be an effective online citizen, and how you can use 2.0 and 3.0 tools to achieve your personal and professional goals.  You'll also learn a lot about writing and the habits of mind that make readers and writers successful communicators. 

Because Open Source Learning is a team sport, this is all your call.  You have to decide if you want to pursue this new direction, or if you want to invent another possibility with or without social media, or if you prefer the familiarity of the traditional approach.  There is admittedly something comforting about the smell of an old book, even if it's a thirty-pound textbook that spent the summer in a pile of lost-and-found P.E. clothes.  My perspective may be obvious but I'm just one voice.  Please add yours with a comment below. 

20 comments:

  1. Like we've already discussed in class, this blog will indeed see tomorrow. Generally when school starts each year the questions that teachers ask really tend to irk me. They are always the same: What do you want out of this class?For me the answer is usually a good grade. But I have a feeling this class is going to be more interesting than other "English" classes I've had in the past because this new way of teaching is so out of the norm. So to answer your question what I am looking to gain from this class is inspiration to get more into Literature and to listen to other people's ideas and points of view to add more to my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This semester I am excited to see what I am going to be learning. The reason is because we aren't just learning the same old way. This year I get the opportunity to learn from an open source learning program. I believe this new way of learning will definitely make learning about American Literature much more interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to my English class this year because it's something new and I enjoy learning new things and having opportunities in this class that actually affect my life. Yes, it's going to be hard to adjust to at first, but once I get the hang of it I know it will come at ease and be very enjoyable. I like " The general idea is for you to: do your best at something personally meaningful," because this shows that it's not just some class that I need to pass, it's something that has a lot more value. I am looking forward to seeing how I will have changed by the end of this class because of this class. I am almost certain it will have an affect on me even out of high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, i want this to happen even if no one else seems to care. I really want this to work. I personally will do everything in my power to help this blog live on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a lot of fun, I am excited to do this, not only because only stuffs is fun but because you're encouraging me to write. Something I thought I could never be good at, I have had positive feedback so far and I just love how much you care and I greatly appreciate it- Cody Newton

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first this blog seemed difficult, but now it is gradually getting easier. I am looking forward to how my blog will look like overall at the end of the year. I am also looking forward to the new and unique things that you and your blog have to show us. I like this whole blog idea and hope everyone participates so we can do this the rest of the year -jenna meagher

    ReplyDelete
  7. This posymt has seen tomorrow an 9 days after that I think i this course is going to be a great learning experience/source but I'm also very nervous because its nothing! Like I'm used to

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would honestly love to see this blog see tomorrow and learn more about open source learning, but see it impossible because not everyone cares. So it makes it harder for this blog to see tomorrow, but it shall be a great learning experience which I am looking forward too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really excited for this, I've never owned a blog or done anything like this before. New things are always exciting. I really hope this blog stays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really excited about open source learning, it's so different from other teachers and classes which is what makes it unique .. I feel like this class will definitely help me and prepare me for the future. I feel like the only downside is that this class might move fast and I will be behind on assignments and stories to read, but I'm hoping it won't get to that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am absolutely in love with the idea of blogging. It seems way more organized than the regular procedure. I cant wait to learn even more about open source learning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking forward to this class. It all looks difficult, but once we start finishing tasks it all starts to make sense. I like it because it's a different class than a regular English class. Hopefully by the end of the year I've learned many things that can better me and my English language.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My prospective about this English class seems tough at first, but we can move through that time and learn different & create of skills due to this blogger we are using which seems fun and amazing! So I'm pretty stoked on this English class because it doesn't seem like a ordinary boring English class, it seems up lifting, energetic and awesome because we collaborate on ideas of one another and we learn new things and that can end up leading somewhere in the future. So let's begin with this journey and have fun is what I think! :) I'm excited to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very excited to learn how to evolve through this English class. Happy that it's not just another class. But we actually learn and its just incredibly how this class makes us think in prospective, and how much we will collaborate looking forward towards that . Also I was very nervous at first because, I didn't understand most of the thing's but now that I choose too re-read it. I have a much better understanding on what we suppose too do. Also I'm very thrilled in have this English Class

    ReplyDelete
  15. On the first day of school I thought whoa this is different and may be awesome but now I feel like this is difficult for me and I don't know why. I feel like there are many reasons for this and a few are because I don't have direct internet access but that can be fixed easily, other than that I feel like others in class seem to not want to do the blog but I may be completely wrong from the comments on here. The blog concept doesn't really bother me but I think for me I would rather like the regular English Class, but that's just me. I feel like this concept of learning is really good from a perspective but its not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this blog will see tomorrow. I think using a blog to teach and learn is a cool new perspective and i think using blogs can help with individuality. This generation has a lot to do with technology and the internet and blogs i think, is exactly what we need to learn better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you teach the class and how you view thw world in your own perspective. I am very excited for this emglish class because my english teach last year was never there and we always had subs. I want to learn as much as i can from you and to succed not only inyour class but also in my other ones as well. Also i feel that your idea on the blogs how we get to make it on anything that were passonitw about is awsome becuase now i can finally make somthing the way i want it to be with no rules and no instruction sheet

    ReplyDelete
  18. With the fact that the blogs are starting to hurt students grades im not sure if they are helping more then they are hurting. For me i enjoy the fact that we have a blog and i think that this blog will see tomorrow because having a blog now is showing students what college life is going to be like. When you are in college most of, or even all of your hw is online so what is the point of doing everything out of a book when that isnt whats going to be happening when er get older. We need to learn how to teach ourselves and find a source that we can get information from rather than read a book and only think about that

    ReplyDelete